Oddington – 1863

Oddington in 1863


Dutton, Allen and Co’s directory and gazetteer of counties of Oxon, Berks and Bucks 1863

ODDINGTON is a parish situate on the river Ray, 61/2 miles S.W. of Bicester, 8 N.W. from Oxford, in the hundred of Ploughley and union of Bicester. The population in 1861 was 169, with an area of about 1320 acres. There are two mineral springs in this parish and a Roman road passes through from Charlton to Brackley. The church is a plain ancient structure, of mixed architecture, dedicated to St Andrew, with chancel (rebuilt in the year 1821), nave, and tower with three bells. In the interior is a curious brass, dated 1500. The living is a rectory, in the deanery of Bicester and gift of Trinity College, Oxoford; the Rev. George Petch, M.A. is the rector. The tithes, moduces, etc were commuted in 1791; the value of the living is regulated by the price of corn, in accordance with a local act