Celebration of Coronation at Oddington
As in all communities throughout the realm, Oddington celebrated in Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II on 2 June 1953.
A Coronation Committee was formed under the Chairmanship of Colonel Owen Edwards of Rectory Farm. Donations to fund the event were received from most households in the village.
Receipts for expenditure give a good picture of what took place.
The brewers, Flower and Sons Ltd delivered to Mr Burch of College Farm three barrels of beer, six dozen pints of bottled beer and a dozen flagons of cider.
Maunders, the bakers in Middle Street, Islip cooked 20 chickens on the day.
Coronation mugs were supplied by William Baker & company of Broad Street Corner, Oxford.
Special Coronation decorations were obtained from W H Smith, Cornmarket Street, Oxford.
Donations had been so generous that there was a substantial balance left in the kitty. This was used to build the village’s first bus shelter.